We flew out about midnight on our first ever family trip that involved an airplane. We are riding the light rail to the airport in the pics below. Can't you see the excitement of these three? In their defense neither of them were feeling great that night. I was a little worried we might have to cancel but everyone seemed to feel better after a while. We all packed a carry on for the week adventure.
We flew in to Chicago about 5am the next morning, just in time to tour. After renting a van we did have a three hour drive to our first destination. Yikes!
The first stop was Carthage jail. We were pretty much running on fumes at this point and it was hard to concentrate on what was being said by the tour guide but we made it through. It was neat to be sitting in the same room that Joseph Smith would have sat in.
One of the bullet holes.
After visiting the jail we contacted the place we were staying to see if we could check in sooner than later. They said "yes" so we were able to take naps before heading to the Nauvoo temple to do baptisms.
This is place is so neat. I loved being in there with my family. I hope our kids remember what they felt there.
Nice wet hair look. There was a couple looking around who took our pictures. They asked us if we knew if the original corner stones were used.
We ate lunch after seeing lots of buildings. These soda cans made for some good entertainment. We came at the right time. All the big crowds were pretty done the week before. It was nice to have the place nearly to ourselves.
The blacksmith shop was the favorite. Cool tools in there.
Mississippi River
Hanging at the bench near the river.
I love these people.
Our next stop was Liberty jail and Adam ondi ahman. I know I took pictures in both places but this is the only one I can find. Sadie took this picture of us as we were looking out in the field. There is a really neat feeling here and we wanted to stay forever.
Then we decided to add the Mall of American to the agenda. It is huge. We spent three hours there and only looked at a 10th of it I suspect.
roller coaster in the background
Lego store
big chair near a bar
Crayola store
This was our motel in Madison. We were tired and it was so hot outside so the TV was a great option.
A trail we hiked on for a bit. I did have a picture of Josiah who had collapsed behind Sadie because of the heat. It was funny but no where to be found.
These birds are crazy big and funny.
We went the capital in Madison but it closed about 15 minutes before we got there.
We had to get some cheese if we are in Wisconsin.
Elijah bought a cheese head. I am not sure what he will do with it but it was a must have for him.
The cool light house at Sheboygan.
President and sister Hansen invited us over for dinner. It was so fun to get to know them. They are very humble and good people.
Milwaukie
Cheese curds are the best.
I wanted to be sure we stopped to see this bean. I debated if it was worth it as we drove into Chicago. Driving into the parking garage was the most exciting. The turns were so skinny as you drove up to the higher floors. It was crazy. Then we had to find our way to the outside. We went forever down some stairs then found the alleyway door. As soon as we were out we turned around and the door didn't have a knob. Well we hoped we would find the way to our car once we got back.
The bean was under construction. Bummer but we did get to some pictures that turned out okay. The kids thought I was bonkers for wanting to come see it.
The hallway to the bathroom.
We made it back to Seattle before midnight and caught the 12:50 am ferry back to Bremerton. It was a very good trip and glad we spent the time and money to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment