Thursday, November 15, 2018

Concrete Slab

It was decided that we would in fact put a cement slab in this fall.  We have talked about it a million times over for the last 5 years and even discussed the best spots for one when we did get to doing it.  The discussion went on long enough so Nathan worked some extra time so we could pay for it and get it done.  This was a big project.  There was a lot of dirt involved.  

This was the start of it.  We moved the sod from the prep area to here.  Sadie and I were the sod transfer people while Nathan kept working on getting dirt removed.  


Do you see all of that dirt that will need to go somewhere?  I was able to get our neighbor to take about 5 wheel barrow loads but that was only a drop in the bucket.  There was a lot of dirt.  

 I worked on digging more dirt out whenever I had the chance and the kids would work on it after school when they could.   There was a lot of dirt.  



These two boys had so much fun playing in the dirt.  There was a lot of dirt.  

Part of the sidewalk needed to be destroyed.  The boys had fun swinging the sledge hammer.  

Is she really working?  

We spread out the pieces on concrete from the sidewalk.  

 I decided to go great guns on this so we could get it done.  I think my body is still vibrating from hitting the sledge hammer on the sidewalk to get the rest out.   Oh boy did it feel good to get some manual labor in.  I loved it.  

It looks more like a combat zone at this point.  

The day we planned to haul in the gravel I was super sick and couldn't help Nathan at all.  I was so bummed.  He hauled in 10,000 pounds of gravel that day.   He was one tired guy that night.   We were nervous about doing the pour ourselves because this is a 23 foot by 23 foot slab.  After one bid we decided to be brave.  

The wire mesh in place and ready for the pour.  This was a stressful couple of days before the pour.  First we were in fear of Nathan getting bronchitis like the rest of us which would have caused us to halt on the pour that weekend.  Second the nice weather predicted at the beginning of the week deteriorated every day we got closer.  The morning of the pour the weather turned to 100% heavy rain.  We almost called it off but instead went quickly to work on a solution.  We taped together a million (or so it seemed) plastic tarps together and nailed it between pieces of wood to the eaves of the house.  I rolled it up so that it would be ready to be used.  

The stress was really mounting at this time.   Nathan had contacted my dad to ask a few last minute questions and the first thing my dad said was "don't do it".  He was kind of joking but we had already gotten to the point of no return.  

The truck showed up.  Yikes its go time.  

Our neighbor came over so that we had a third person there.  We were thankful he was able to come.  

I ran the chute.   Don't let the bright thing in the sky deceive you.  We got lucky on the pouring part with really nice weather.  




It's been smoothed out and now time to roll out the tarp tent and wait for the next step.

Then the real pouring started immediately after covering the concrete.   Pouring concrete isn't an easy job and both of us were sore from all we did. 

This is the next morning we figured it was safe enough to take the top tarp down and lay it on top of the other layer. 

We can stand on it.  Yay!



Just a little dance on the slab.  These boys were still not feeling good at this point.  

Sadie made her first shot.  We also played four square.

There was a lot of dirt still surrounding the slab. 

Bit by bit we moved the dirt away.  Then two days ago I finally got the rest of it moved to the garden area.  There was a lot of dirt moved around here. 

We have a slab that is getting lots of use and now we will be dealing with a lot of mud this winter till we can plant grass in the spring.  

This was a fun project to work on.  Now I need another one.  

2 comments:

Joseph and Ivy Waite said...

Wow you guys are pretty brave! It looks nice! You'll regret getting rid of that orange carpet though. I'm sure it's going to come back into style very soon.

Nicole said...

If the next project concerns concrete you need to call Sid to help- Seriously- he loves the stuff!! Besides- we owe you for the beautiful Japanese maple we dug out from where the slab now lays :)

The Betta and The fish tank

We have had these big jars like forever and really haven't done anything with them except put change in one.  Well while Josiah was here...